SickKids Centre for Community Mental Health
POSITION: Child and Youth Care Practitioner
PROGRAM: Intensive Services for Children- Day Treatment Program
POSITION DETAILS: Relief (up to 40 hours/wk) 3 positions- Sheppard
The Garry Hurvitz Centre for Community Mental Health at SickKids (GH-CCMH) is a child and youth mental health centre integrated with The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). GH-CCMH is also a core service provider within the Toronto region of Child and Youth Community Mental Health Providers. As such, the Centre has an ambitious agenda to provide the highest quality evidence-informed care offering a range of services from prevention and early intervention through counselling and therapy, assessment and intensive supports. Services are provided in both in-person and virtual formats. As an employer, the Centre strives to reflect the many diverse cultures and identities represented in the children, youth and families we serve and seeks to provide an inclusive and equitable workplace. We are also connected to the continuum of mental health services for children and youth supported by SickKids: the Brain and Mental Health Program, the SickKids TeleLink Mental Health Program, the SickKids CCMH Learning Institute and our online resources through AboutKidsHealth. Find out more about GH-CCMH.
We are seeking applicants for a Child and Youth Care Practitioner, Relief position at the Intensive Services for Children – Day Treatment program. This role will be responsible for providing direct mental health treatment services to children aged 6-12 with social, emotional and behavioral problems.
- Conducts treatment programs and provides direct clinical services to clients.
- Collaborates with other staff in establishing therapeutic relations with children, parents, families, guardian agencies and/or community partners.
- Consults and communicates with staff, outside professionals and families to develop, plan, implement, monitor and evaluate treatment plans for clients.
- Assesses behaviours in relation to treatment plans and obtains relevant and significant information about the client for the purposes of case planning and program development.
- Supervises the safety of clients and maintains a presence of visibility and availability to client needs and provides lifesaving and prevention intervention as needed.
- Records observations writes progress reports and reviews and consults with other professionals.
- Ensures that required Centre reports are submitted according to set deadlines and procedures.
- Provides leadership guidance, role modelling to staff team & ensures policies are followed.
- Attends program related meetings/trainings.
- Participates in program activities, including summer program, as assigned by their direct supervisor.
- Coordinates the activities of the shift when necessary.
- Complies with the organization’s vision, policies and procedures
- Performs other tasks as assigned by management
- Post-secondary Diploma in Child and Youth Care and a minimum of two years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience; experience working in community is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with at-risk children youth & families, community partners and organizations
- Understanding and analysis of issues of marginalization and oppression are necessary to work in this role
- Member with the Ontario Child and Youth Care Association or equivalent association/ accrediting organization
- Good verbal and written communication skills to deal with clients and families
- Good problem-solving skills to analyze client issues and recommend solutions and manage crisis situations
- First Aid/CPR, and TCI
- Good knowledge of MS Office Suites (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as ability to use office equipment efficiently (telephone, scanner, photocopier and fax)
- Experience and understanding of issues of marginalization and oppression are necessary to work in this role
- ·Ability to engage in physical activities related to sports, board games, play based etc., and UMAB training
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to travel to various locations, including clients’ homes if required
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
As a health care centre, our highest priority is the safety of patients, families and staff. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our clients, families and our staff. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon proof of full vaccination with a Health Canada or World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination no later than fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the effective start date. Should there be an exemption of vaccination based on a medical, or human rights reason, proof will need to be provided, in addition to participation in regular COVID-19 testing based on exposure risk as well as participation in vaccine education. All offers of employment are conditional on meeting these minimum requirements, failure to comply will lead to offer of employment being immediately rescinded.
Interested applicants are asked to forward their resumes by January 24 2023 to:
Human Resources – SickKids CCMH
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org FAX: (416) -633-7141
Note: Please quote position title & competition number in the subject heading of email.
We are seeking applicants internally and externally.
GH-CCMH at SickKids is an employer committed to equity and recognizes that excellence in mental health can only exist when diverse experience and perspectives are valued and included. We encourage applications from equity deserving communities, including Indigenous people, people with disabilities, members of racialized groups, and persons of all genders and sexual orientations.
The Centre views diversity, inclusion, and cultural humility as essential pieces of an integrated whole that sustains our organization and enables us to provide exceptional care to each child, youth and family we serve.
We are committed to creating an accessible experience for all candidates; please reach out regarding accommodations at any point during the hiring process.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com