Children's Mental Health Ontario
Two year contract, full-time
Children’s Mental Health Ontario (CMHO) is the association representing Ontario’s publicly-funded Child and Youth Mental Health Centres. With the combined strength of our members, we advocate for government investments, policies and programs that are responsive to the needs of children, youth and families seeking mental health services in Ontario. Our nearly 100 member organizations operate in every region of the province, providing treatment and support to 140,000 children, youth and families a year.
CMHO is looking for a motivated and entrepreneurial public affairs leader to join our team. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Director, Strategic Relations and Communications provides senior level leadership to the organization on government and stakeholder relations plans that advance CMHO’s objectives and reputation.
Key to this role is the ability to represent CMHO in various capacities and enabling CMHO to represent our members’ interests effectively and thoughtfully. The successful candidate will collaborate with our members, government stakeholders, people with lived experience and broader health and children’s system partners to ensure that our positions are clear, consistent and well-integrated. A natural relationship builder and a highly strategic thinker, the ideal candidate will enjoy working with a small, dynamic team in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
Position Description and Requirements
- Build and execute integrated stakeholder relations and communications plans including strategies and tactics on relevant public policy, legislative, and member issues
- Communicate the value of members and elevate the needs and voices of children, youth and families to government, the public, and broader system partners
- Promote CMHO positions with senior government officials and other external audiences in person and in writing to support and improve children’s mental health care
- Oversee the strategic communications activities, including digital and social media, media relations and member communications
- Develop equity strategies with the CMHO leadership team and implement stakeholder relations and communications activities through an equity-based lens
- Work closely with CMHO members to identify, understand and manage government related issues and opportunities in alignment with strategic priorities
- Work with CMHO leadership team to plan the correspondence, presentations and formal policy submissions to government officials, as well as identify opportunities for and develop funding proposals
- Identify, develop and strengthen relationships with key decision makers and influencers in and outside of government
- Collaborate with partners and help CMHO build and participate in coalitions that advance the interests of children, youth and families
- Proactively identify issues and lead the management of critical incidents and opportunities impacting members and CMHO as they arise
- Take on special projects as requested
- Minimum of 7 years public affairs, government relations and/or strategic communications experience
- Excellent writing, public speaking and presentation skills
- Effective leadership and management skills
- Proven track-record in a provincial government and/or a corporate/non-profit government relations environment
- Understanding of Ontario’s political system and policy-making processes
- Experience presenting complex issues and opportunities to high-level officials and third party partners
- Excellent project management, communications and interpersonal skills
- Excellent at prioritizing and working under tight deadlines on multiple initiatives
- Knowledge of mental health systems, health care and children’s systems preferred
- Experience in a membership/association environment is considered an asset
- French language skills an asset.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume as one document (titled with your first and last name), in PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2021 with the subject heading “Director, Strategic Relations and Communications”. Resumes not submitted in this format will not be accepted.
This is a full-time two year contract position with benefits. Salary range is $80,000 to $110,000 and dependent on experience.
The organization role is currently working remotely and will be moving back to in person with flexible work from home policies.
CMHO is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from members of equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All hires are contingent on the successful completion of a criminal background check and vulnerable sector screen.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com