SickKids Centre for Community Mental Health
POSITION: Human Resources Generalist
PROGRAM: Human Resources
POSITION DETAILS: Regular, 1.0 FTE
The Garry Hurvitz Centre for Community Mental Health at SickKids (GH-CCMH) is a child and youth mental health centre integrated with The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). GH-CCMH is also a core service provider within the Toronto region of Child and Youth Community Mental Health Providers. As such, the Centre has an ambitious agenda to provide the highest quality evidence-informed care offering a range of services from prevention and early intervention through counselling and therapy, assessment and intensive supports. Services are provided in both in-person and virtual formats. As an employer, the Centre strives to reflect the many diverse cultures and identities represented in the children, youth and families we serve and seeks to provide an inclusive and equitable workplace. We are also connected to the continuum of mental health services for children and youth supported by SickKids: the Brain and Mental Health Program, the SickKids TeleLink Mental Health Program, the SickKids CCMH Learning Institute and our online resources through AboutKidsHealth. Find out more about GH-CCMH.
We are seeking applicants for a HR Generalist role to provide support to the Human Resources department and provide advice and guidance to employees and managers at the SickKids Centre for Community Mental Health.
Human Resources Lead and Support
- Coordinates, implements and administers the Human Resources policies and practices contributing to policy development, providing guidance to staff/management, recruiting, compensation/benefits planning and administration, performance management, training and employee relations
- Administer full cycle recruitment including onboarding, recruitment and selection procedures processing approved hiring requests/job descriptions, posting positions, screening/interviewing applicants, checking references, contacting unsuccessful candidates and preparing/ employment agreements and onboarding packages
- Assists the Senior HR Manager with conducting compensation reviews ensuring alignment with pay equity legislation, calculating payments, updating HRIS and forwarding correspondence to employees
- Administers changes in MyHR and express net and informing necessary staff of updates
- Assists with drafting and calculating severance package for terminations
- Support and provides benefits and pension packages to eligible employees, tracks status and follows up on administrative issues
- Conducts and analyses exit interviews determining areas of improvement and providing feedback on improved processes
- Coordinates, designs and delivers new employee orientations, trains staff on SharePoint/HR policies/ MyHR (HRIS) and updates training ensuring compliance with legislation
- Enters and updates HRIS information changing profiles, preparing reports, identifying systems problems and making manual corrections
- Provides assistance with payroll documentation including new hires, changes to existing employees, benefits/pension updates, terminations, STD/LTD updates, leave of absences and reports
- Identifies and investigates payroll discrepancies, proposes solutions and distributes correspondence to parties involved
- Maintains confidential employee files receiving/verifying documents, creating new records, tracking Ministry licensing for staff, communicating with managers and performing audits
- Acts as back up to the Payroll Coordinator and HR team during absences, or as needed
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of Human Resources trends, best practices and legislation within the industry
- Makes decisions within Human Resources policies, procedures and guidelines, as well as refers unusual situations to the Manager
- Complies with the organization’s vision, policies and procedures
- Performs other tasks as assigned by management
- Concentration and creativity required daily to listen to staff, calculate payments, prepare correspondence, create reports, update HRIS, create presentations, create flowcharts, etc.
- Sits daily to perform the duties of the job, as well as lifts or carries up to 20 pounds occasion
- Post-secondary Degree (Human Resources) and a minimum of five years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Membership with the Human Resources Professionals Association including certification as a Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) is an asset
- Good verbal and written communication skills to effectively deal with all levels of staff, as well as to handle highly sensitive and confidential issues
- Good listening, organizational, team building, training and facilitation skills
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- Ability to incorporate values of a culturally competent practice of diversity and inclusiveness in all aspects of work
- Knowledge of MS Office Suites (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as ability to use office equipment efficiently (telephone, scanner, photocopier and fax)
- Works in a pleasant office environment including meeting rooms
- Exposure to constant interruptions/distractions, deadlines, multiple demands and stress
- Little exposure to hazards
As a health care centre, our highest priority is the safety of patients, families and staff. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our clients, families and our staff. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon proof of full vaccination with a Health Canada or World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination no later than fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the effective start date. Should there be an exemption of vaccination based on a medical, or human rights reason, proof will need to be provided, in addition to participation in regular COVID-19 testing based on exposure risk as well as participation in vaccine education. All offers of employment are conditional on meeting these minimum requirements, failure to comply will lead to offer of employment being immediately rescinded.
Interested applicants are asked to forward their résumés by September 15, 2023 to:
Human Resources – SickKids CCMH
FAX: (416) -633-7141 E-mail: email@example.com
Note: Please quote position title & competition number in the subject heading of email.
We are seeking applicants internally and externally
GH-CCMH at SickKids is an employer committed to equity and recognizes that excellence in mental health can only exist when diverse experience and perspectives are valued and included. We encourage applications from equity deserving communities, including Indigenous people, people with disabilities, members of racialized groups, and persons of all genders and sexual orientations.
The Centre views diversity, inclusion, and cultural humility as essential pieces of an integrated whole that sustains our organization and enables us to provide exceptional care to each child, youth and family we serve.
We are committed to creating an accessible experience for all candidates; please reach out regarding accommodations at any point during the hiring process.
To apply for this job please visit sickkidscmh.ca.