Website Strides Toronto
Strides Toronto is a multi-service agency providing a wide range of exceptional programs and services that improve the mental, social and physical health of infants, children and youth from the pre-natal stage to age 29, and their families. With a range of community, residential and treatment services, we build strength and resilience through equitable, accessible, client-driven services, system leadership and advocacy. We provide individual, group and family interventions that include mental health counselling, autism services, education, outreach and referral, early intervention, day treatment and community support. In its Lead Agency role, Strides Toronto collaborates with 23 publicly funded infant, child and youth mental health (ICYMH) core service providers to design and implement system-level improvements that promote access, responsive service delivery and experience, and positive mental health outcomes for young people and families across Toronto’s diverse communities. To learn more about who we are and what we do, we invite you to visit our website at www.stridestoronto.ca
ABOUT THE ROLE
The ABA Therapist is a full-time 6-months contract position that works directly with children and youth diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families in the provision of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services. ABA services includes group and/ or individual sessions in the areas of communication skills, behaviour management/ emotional regulation, social/ interpersonal skills and daily living skills. The ABA therapist also provides caregiver education and skill building sessions to help caregivers promote their child’s skill generalization in the home and community. These sessions allow caregivers to promote their child’s development by implementing ABA strategies at home.
Salary range: $55,750.00 to $64,921.00 per annum
Benefits: This position is represented by OPSEU local 567.
Recruiting for 01 full-time 6-months contract position.
WHY JOIN OUR TEAM?
- We provide opportunities for growth and professional development.
- We are committed to providing an equitable and inclusive environment where our diverse team members and clients can thrive.
- We have a collaborative and supportive Senior Management Team.
- We set high standards for performance, client outcomes, and implement best practices, which are demonstrated through our accreditation with the Canadian Centre for Accreditation.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Deliver group-based or one-to-one Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) to children and youth to promote skill acquisition in the areas of communication skills, behaviour management/ emotional regulation, social/ interpersonal skills and daily living skills.
- Maintain regular communication with caregiver after each treatment session to inform them of client progress and how to implement strategies taught in home and other environments.
- Collaborate with supervisor to develop individualized behaviour protocols, and follow protocols for aggressive and disruptive behaviours.
- Identify additional service needs as appropriate including recreational services and multidisciplinary services.
- Develop and implement caregiver training/ education by modeling techniques and strategies so caregivers can utilize these techniques in the home and community.
- Prepare and present teaching materials for caregiver’s group and/ or individual training using Behavioural Skill Training (BST).
- Maintain up to date records of all relevant client data for any internal staff to find when needed to best support clients and ensure safety.
THE “MUST HAVES”
The following education, professional memberships and knowledge are a requirement for this role:
- 3-year Community college diploma in Behavioural Science.
- 2 years of experience working with children and youth with autism in groups using the principles of ABA.
- Knowledge of the autism spectrum disorder with understanding of the principles of applied behavior analysis.
- Knowledge of services provided within autism services as well as organization-wide services.
- Understanding of Ontario Autism Program (current and historical information) – have a general understanding of the ministry changes, Ontario Autism Program funding options and how that will affect the clients and their delivery of service.
- Understanding of Professional and Compliance Code for Behaviour Analysis.
THE ‘NICE TO HAVES’
While not required, preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Knowledge of community resources and partner agencies to make referrals and transfer clients if needed.
- Fluency in another language(s), including sign language.
BEFORE STARTING WITH US
As our work puts us in direct contact with young people and vulnerable persons in our community, with health and safety as a priority, the successful candidate must complete or obtain a Vulnerable Sector Police Check before commencement of their employment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume outlining your demonstrated education, certification (if applicable), working and related volunteer experience and how you meet specific requirements for this position, and any additional considerations you deem appropriate. The application deadline is September 22, 2023.
Strides Toronto is an equal opportunity employer. We benefit from diversity of lived experiences in the workplace and encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Strides Toronto is a participant in the Government of Canada’s 50-30 Challenge, a program which challenges organizations to improve access for women and/or non-binary people and other equity-deserving groups, including those identifying as: racialized, Black, and/or people of colour, people with disabilities (including invisible and episodic disabilities), 2SLGBTQ+ and/or gender and sexually diverse individuals, and Aboriginal and/or Indigenous Peoples to increase the representation and inclusion of diverse groups within their workplace.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Strides Toronto’s own policies, requests for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
We thank all applicants however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit stridestoronto.ca.